Friday, January 15, 2010

Employment Terminated!

Last month we received Christmas cards from friends and family which is always wonderful,but I noticed a little something on most of the cards that made me cringe inside. Here's an example: "Merry Christmas from the Smith's!" There! Do you see it? An apostrophe! Um, excuse me? Mr. Apostrophe? I understand you were invited to join the Smith family today. I regret to inform you your services are no longer needed. When the Smiths need to possess something and not be plural, your space will be waiting. Until then, we ask you to wait in line with the comma and semi-colon. Thank you.
Now that Mr. Apostrophe has been excused, the phrase should read, "Merry Christmas from the Smiths."  Ahh! Sweet relief!
Lesson to be learned? There is a time and a place for Mr. Apostrophe. 
Feel free to hire and fire upon demand.

No comments:

Post a Comment